Monday, April 11, 2016

The Internship

The Internship

“Are you serious?” I asked her, somehow hoping against hope that she wasn’t. She was quite serious. She was getting in the car and driving to California, with or without me. She had just gotten off the phone with Steve Murray and said she accepted the internship position at the Los Angeles Times. I can’t believe she got in.

“Yes, I'm serious,” Stacey replied. “It’s a dream come true.”

“But what’s going to happen to us?”

“What do you mean, Brian?” she asked. “Nothing’s going to change. You know how much this means to me.”

“Of course, I do. It’s just that I never really thought about what would happen if you got in. You're great at what you do, you know that, but it’s a hard program to get into.”

“That's exactly why I have to take advantage of this opportunity. I don’t want to look back and regret not doing it. If you ruin this for me, I don’t know if I could ever forgive you.”

“I can’t tell you not to go,” Brian  admitted. “I guess I’m just scared that it’s not going to be the same when you get back.”

“I’m scared, too,” Stacey confessed. “But I promise that it’s not going to change how I feel about you. I’m only going to be gone seven months".

“Well, I guess this is goodbye,” Brian muttered.

“Not yet,” Stacey said. “I don’t have to leave until Saturday. Let’s just enjoy the time we have together until I have to leave. I only wish that you were going with me.”

“I know,” Brian moaned. “it sucks that I couldn’t get transferred to the LA branch. I’ll be right here waiting for you when you get back.”

“I love you,” Stacey squealed as she leaned in to kiss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment